Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: 1203's ?

  1. #1
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi there have a chance to pick up two Altec 1203's for about $150 each. I can't find any info on these pups. I haven't seen them yet but, I had the person measure the outside of the Cab. 43"H 25W The depth is different at the top and bottom. Top is 18", bottom 20 1/2 deep. They have a single woofer (15"?) with a horn. They have wheels on the the back and a pull bar. Here's the kicker, they have built in Altec amps. The guy is to open the box and get for me whatever numbers he can find. I can't find anything in the Lansing library on these and nothing comes up with a Google search. Anybody out there know anything about these? I was thinking, instead of making two Model 19 for the road, if I were to take these and load them with 416-B's and upgrade the diaphragm, they may do the trick for mobile DJ work. I'd like to hear some of your opinions. Thanks... JJJ

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member
    1203's ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    I can't remeber, I think that had a 418 LF unit.

    If so they will recone as 416's. Or consider subs.

    Ampwise, see which they are. If they are 771 A or B be cautions. I've seen many more of those dead than alive. The heavier Altec biamps were much better. If they have those the amps are worth what you are paying. At the price I'd probably jump on them if for nothing but parts.

    Probably these have 808 or 807 drivers. They can be seriously improved, do a search here.

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    1203 is a 1202 (418LF/811B/807) with 771B amp, so Caveat Emptor!

    GM

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member
    1203's ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks GM!

    I was straining the old gray matter hard and having trouble.

    The 418 is a more of a "lead guitar" speaker. It doesn't have a lot of bottom.

    I don't think the 771's will survive in your app.

    But crossovers are cheap. Easiest shot is just put some subs under them and go 3 way.

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    You're welcome! Yeah, these cabs were done by ~65 Hz and sounded decidedly PA.

    Interesting pub, an 811C and 422-4Z woofer, neither of which I've ever seen/heard of in a previous version to the ones I'm familiar with.

    GM

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member
    1203's ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    4 ohm units to get the most out of that puny amp?

  8. #8
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    That's got to be a typo, AFAIK these amps don't have the current capability to drive a nominal 4 ohms. For sure I never saw one rated other than 8 ohms.

    GM

  9. #9
    Inactive Member bigjunglejim's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 2nd, 2005
    Posts
    241
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the input... As far as I've been told, these are 1203's not 1203-A's... I wonder if there is such an animal or did the guy mis quote the model? If they are 1203's or 1203-A's, do you think they are worth $150 each? Reading the brochure, it sounds like I could use them for mobile DJ but at moderate levels. What do you think?

  10. #10
    Senior Hostboard Member
    1203's ?


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Post

    Here's how I would look at it:

    Purchase price: 300

    Ebay 771's recover $100 probably

    Net investment: $200

    value 2- 418's $250

    Value horns/drivers $300

    Net recovery $450

    450 back on a 200 investment is a good deal in my book.


    You probably will want to Ebay the Symbiotiks and replace them with Pascalites.

    I would just put an 18" reflex or bandpass box under them and triamp 'em. They would serve as a moderate level DJ system.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28222319 times.